"All students will have the academic, social, and personal skills to be career, college, and community ready."
Miller School seeks to develop in students:
- Respect for themselves and others
- A sense of belonging in our school community
- A feeling of pride and satisfaction in accomplishments
- Responsible decision-making strategies
- A positive work ethic to help students reach their potential
Elementary School Handbook (pdf document)
File Size: 904.66 kb
Principal John Alstad
1989 North 20th Street
Bismarck ND 58501
Principal: John Alstad
Secretary: Wendy Schmaltz
Last year, Miller Elementary started a new program called Watch D.O.G.S. Our goal is to get student's fathers (and father-figures) to take the time to volunteer one day a year in their child's school. Statistics show that by having fathers more involved, children develop more fully socially, physically, academically, and emotionally. When you volunteer it also shows your child that education is important to you.
We are asking that you make the commitment to volunteer for one full day (8:00-3:15). When volunteering you will spend time in your child's classroom helping the teacher and the students with an activity such as reading to students, helping with a math game, recess, an art project etc. You will also have the opportunity to spend time in other classrooms so that more students can benefit from your presence as a role model. In addition, you will be able to have lunch with your child which PTO will pay for you that day.
We want the students to know when there is a Watch D.O.G.S. in the building. On the day you volunteer, your child will get to announce you over the intercom. There are Watch D.O.G.S. uniforms (shirts) that are available for you to buy if you choose as this helps you to be more visible to the students. The adult shirt is $15. There are also children shirts available if you are interested for $13. If you would like to buy a shirt you can call the school at 323-4170 before the day you volunteer.
If you would like to learn more about the program you can call or email any of the following people below or you can check out the official Watch D.O.G. website at:
There is also a great video on the program at this link:
• http://www.fathers .com/watchdogs/watch-d-o-g-s-featured -on-the-today-show/
If you would like to sign up, please go to our online sign up by following this link:
You can do this at any time but we will start having volunteers in the school on Monday, Oct. lOth . The directions are as follows to signup:
1. Click this link to go to our invitation page on SignUp.com: http://signup.com/go/T2E4g7
2. Enter your email address: (You will NOT need to register an account on SignUp.com)
3. Sign up! Choose your spots- SignUp.com will send you an automated confirmation and reminders. Easy!
If you do not have internet access, please feel free to contact any of the people listed below:
• John Alstad, Principal at john _alstad@bis marckschools.org
• Kari Zeien, School Counselor at kari""'firstname.lastname@example.org
• Sarah Holzer, School Social Worker at sarah email@example.com